Friday, April 15, 2011

More about the Pandas

On April 14, I saw the pandas. They were so adorable. I got to hold one it was so much fun!  The panda was trying to lick me. The panda that I held was named Er Xie. She was very big. We also saw the red pandas. I liked the black and white pandas the most. When I saw the pandas they were happily munching on bamboo. We went to a brocade store too. It was so amazing. They said if  you work eight  hours a day you only make 6-7 centimeters a day. We also went to Sichuan Opera house. We got to see people change their masks and CLOTHES! We also saw the shadow puppet show. He made all these cool animals like... rabbit, birds, owl, dog, and a galloping horse. It was so amazing.
We did some more things.




NOTE:
'Changing Faces'
One of the most fascinating, artistic charms of Sichuan Opera is "face-changing", which is achieved by quickly tearing off, rubbing, or blowing away a mask to reveal another.
 The performer prepares many special masks in advance made of gauze and elastic materials, such as sheep embryo membranes and rubber. After the masks are painted with different designs and assembled with a special transparent thread, they are pasted onto the performer's face.
The special masks for "changing faces" must be made to fit the performer's face to ensure that they are pasted as close as possible to the skin. Previously, the masks were discarded after a performance, but today they can be recycled with some minor repairs.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you held a panda!!! (Yes I can, but that's awesome.) So many exciting things.

    After work tonight I went to a large Asian market near my home to buy some veggies. I always feel like I'm in another country when shopping there, since I don't recognize many of the foods. This time I smiled a lot, thinking that you are THERE and surrounded by those very foods.

    Glad you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete